Monday, March 20, 2006

A pocket money idea...


The Air Conditioner in our master bedroom quit working 5 days ago. No urgent “Work Order” issued by missus yet as the weather now is not that sizzling, not yet. It’s a window-type (I know exactly what you’re thinking, but that is the popular type people use down here). I bought it brand new and installed it about a year ago, so this is kinda premature breakdown I would say.
I am not sure what the problem is, when I turned it on, it made these buzzing and humming sounds which irritate the living shit out of missus (I kinda like it though, I think its cool, that melodious buzzing make me feel like I am in out of space or somewhere in fourth dimension world…..ttzzz…bzzzz…zrrtt. Anyway, as the man of the house, I have tried to fix it (by banging three and half times on that damn thing with my fist), but it didn’t work.
I know this one HVAC maintenance contractor guy at office. I am sure there is not much of a maintenance that he has to routinely do everyday (that explains his walking around and around carrying some screwdrivers and other “look-like-busy” gadget with him and his frequent visit to the pantry). Ok to be fair, may be he does a lot of maintaining work around here, which I don’t know or I don’t really care. So I was thinking may be I should just ask this maintenance guy to fix it after office hour, you know, just some additional pocket money for him.
Well, you know what...I guess this guy must have been so naïve; the concept of ‘pocket money’ did not cross his mind very well. He apparently called his company to arrange someone from there to be deputed to my house. I didn’t know this, so, later that day, there was this gentleman calling me from his office, he was like… “Ok sir, we received your report this morning, we will send one electrician to your house to fix one AC….”, swear to God, he sounded like he was reporting to White House Chief of Staff for sending a troop to Iraq or something. And he was telling me, “... and sir, there will be a call-out rate of $xxx plus actual cost of repair and parts.” Damn, I told him, we were not talking about sending a platoon of technician for HVAC maintenance at some tallest building in the world, and that I just need someone to repair one unit of AC, which would probably gonna cost me something like 2000% cheaper than that…. Then I told him, “…that’s too expensive my friend..”, and he was “... Sir, we are sending one qualified technician with experience, if there is a problem after this, we will remedy for FOC…bla bla…”. I told this Mr CIA guy to just forget about this whole sending troop to Iraq with warranty crap, I’d fix it myself.

O well, may be I will drop by at some electrical shop near my house later.

No comments: