Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hate it when that happen..


Heck of a dinner we had last night! We invited our dear friend and his wife and son for dinner before they left for the airport. Their flight was at 2.00am, (I just don’t get it why some airlines have to fix their schedule at odd hours like 2.00am, why not make it 10.00pm, well…ok I get it …may be some cheap skates airlines are trying to save costs on foods…expecting passengers to just doze off the moment the plane takes off…hey that’s an idea for my national airline to re-schedule all domestic flight to take off after 1.00am..).

I really ate last night (indirect compliment to missus). I was still stuffed when I went to bed last night. Could not sleep right away like always (missus has been complaining how easy I am to drift into that REM stage of sleep, lay my head on pillow and mere seconds after that…zzz). But last night, I was tossing and turning…I don’t remember exactly when I finally fell asleep. My mind was taking me to almost everywhere, exploring from life, work, family, children to golf…yeah I think golf took 90% of that exploration!

Actually it's easy to become so obsessed with golf that we become gullible to the advice of people who don't have the faintest idea of what it takes to make at least an average golfer with consistent shots all the time. Many people, or at least me, get ripped off by charlatans, believing every single damn thing I read, see, or hear in my quest to get better.

For me, actually it is tough as I started waaayyyy too late, and of course, my special thanks to the unsolicited helps that came from various guru songsang, et-al out there. Thanks guys…you have shaped the way I am now …”fucked up’ golfer that is!

Nothing wrong with starting late actually as most golfers of our generations started late anyway. I bet you’ve never heard someone of our age started golf at 15… we all played football then! Kids nowadays start hitting balls at 9!

But most importantly, we have to start right - with the right guru and technique! Once the posture/muscles are molded and tuned up to the right technique, it is easier to improve with minimal adjustment to here and there along the way. Starting wrong ie. with wrong guru, wrong reading, wrong VCD or whatever possible aide there are, will not only lock our screwed-up style, worse still.. it remains there with a strength of a thousand-army to resist change or adjustment! We are ‘trapped’ per se. For some of us late-starter who fall under this category, we have to live with it. There is no way to mend as “Urat dah liat daaa!!!” Of course, we can play well, score decently, but our names will be forever seen in section C chalkboard! Well… I think I can live with that..

I started golfing when I moved to a new job location, away from the bustling metro life that I spent half of my age, to be honest (albeit, what have been said earlier) I never regret it. It’s a game that I can at least envision to continuously play even after retirement, unlike football or any other physical games. Luckily, my wife, who was raised in a ‘golf playing’ family and relatives understand my passion for golf. So, my waking up so early and timely for golf and so liat for pasar-going ritual is fully understood, and will not be raised as an additional supporting subject in any forthcoming fight, if any..

So, as screwed as I am now, to see that happen to my kid is not a wise thing. I have been telling my wife to have my 2 y’old son (my only son, I have 5 daughters) to take up golf with a proper coaching the minute he can barely lift a 3 iron!

Anyway, golf offers me a great deal of mind control, not to mention temper (as I blow all the time!). I enjoy the man-made challenge in the game - the patient and drive that have to come with it. Enjoy the surrounding - the crowd of gentleman, the green and serenity that go with that.

No comments: