Monday, April 17, 2006

I am no couch patato

I don’t really watch TV, beside the fact that TV falls within our little ones territory of control, there is just nothing much to see on TV. Though there are over 800 channels on my cable set to flip, 80% of that comes in languages I don’t speak. Good thing that I am subscribed to Showtime, which avail some 50 channels of an understood language.
When we, me and missus do watch (that’s after the kids sleep), our favorite stations would always be Movies, News and some Arabic music channels. But off late, we experienced a radical shift to our favorites. We are now tuning in to BBC Food channel at every possible opportunity we have. BBC Food is the BBC's international food channel and broadcasts in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This channel is packed with the best-known chefs showcasing the best food program from around the world.

Watching these great cooks or chef mixing ingredients and turning them into some exotic dishes enthuses me. Everything seems to be so simple (but believe me, it is not as it seems though)! Their finished products are like a masterpiece. My favorite is James Reeson, others that I admire includes Ainsley Harriott, Nigella Lawson, Delia Smith, Jamie Oliver, Antonio Carluccio, Antony Worrall Thompson, Rick Stein, Sophie Grigson, Ken Hom, Madhur Jaffrey and Gary Rhodes.
From my trivial observation, there are these three values that appear to be the common denominators for all these great chefs… swiftness, creativity and presentation skill.

  1. 1. Swiftness - they seem to be kicking ass (..amplified by good editing), they are quick in action with ideas come in a flash and almost spontaneous, orders of preparation are well synchronized so one act doesn’t wait for the next, rather some can actually run simultaneous. Not to mention the slicing, cutting, mincing and moving around the kitchen – they all go zas zas zas…done!.
  2. Great chefs are creative; they’re practically inventors – crafting something new. You’d never believe the geographical origin of some ingredients thrown in their foods. They must have been scouting around for ideas and inspirations, tasting and trying the whole lot under the sun in their hunt to explore.
  3. And most evident, these people are exceptional artist they are so artistic in presenting the food to drool you...

I am hungry....

No comments: